Apply for 2013 PhD Completion Stipend
Applications now open
The purpose of the stipend is to provide highly qualified students extra time to complete their policy-relevant research. (Recipients and their research are listed here.)
The stipend is open to PhD students at Queen's both in Economics and other departments.
Eligibility. To be eligible, the student must have:
- Completed comprehensive exams
- Made substantial progress on a thesis relevant to public policy
- Not received the stipend already.
Criteria. All eligible students are encouraged to apply. Additional factors considered when awarding stipends include that the student:
- Receives a positive reference from an advisor
- Is in the fourth or fifth year of their PhD program
- Uses data from the QRDC or other Canadian source
- Relies on HPCVL or other Compute Canada resources
- Would benefit from travel to another university or institution for research purposes.
Requirements. Recipients are expected to:
- Remain in good standing in their PhD program.
- Take on limited teaching or RA duties during at least one semester of the award year. "Limited teaching" can include teaching a course previously taught. "Limited RA" duties include reduced if not zero hours; a research position directly related to the thesis (such as on a co-authored paper) also qualifies as "limited"
- Write a brief description of their research plans to be featured on the JDI website along with a picture and a few pieces of information from their cv
- Write a very brief report on their progress and activity at the end of the award year (which may also be featured on the website)
- Acknowledge the JDI in work based on the award year.
To Apply: After logging on to your JDI user account return to this page. Complete the form that appears below. (Follow the same link to create an account if you do not already have one.) The form is not visible unless you are logged into your JDI account.